Our History

Koenig Equipment History

In 1904, John C. Koenig founded a hardware and farm equipment dealership to serve his friends and neighbors. Committed to the long-term, he handled only quality products; he offered them at a fair price; he maintained convenient hours; and he supported his merchandise with application information, a good parts stock, and responsive repair and maintenance. He always greeted his customers as friends and made sure transactions were of mutual advantage.

Those high objectives were maintained at the Botkins Hardware Company by his sons; John, Bill, and Emerson. To their work they added specialization and teamwork. They continued to refuse the slipshod, the merely expedient.

As the Botkins Hardware Company grew into Koenig Equipment, Inc., Emerson's children (Ray, Ken, JoAnn, Jack and Greg) enriched the family business legacy while achieving unprecedented sales growth and geographic expansion.  They accomplished this by striving to provide industry leadership in new services and programs, to respond to an evolving market and to build a professional dealership staff committed to those ideals.

Timeline

1975
 

John Deere Service Center

A new John Deere Service Center opened on State Route 29, southeast of Sidney, Ohio.

1974
 

Koenig Equipment, Inc.

Koenig Equipment Inc. purchases the assets of the Botkins Hardware Company.

1960
 

Service Operations Moves

Service operations moved from Lynn Street to a 40x60 shop attached to parts and hardware departments at 306 North Main. Storage and set-up are added a few years later.

1957
 

Botkins Hardware Company Moves

The Botkins Hardware Company moved from South Main to 306 North Main into a state-of-the-art 5,400 square foot structure.

1950
 

Freight Elevator Upgraded

That freight elevator in the machinery warehouse was upgraded to be powered by an electric motor.

1949
 

New Cash Register

Koenig brothers installed a "new" National Cash Register at the "old" store on South Main in Botkins.

1946
 

New Service Shop

Service operations and machinery set-up activity now conducted in a new heated 30x40 service shop where the Koenig barn stood.

1945
 

Koenig Purchased by Sons

Emory, Elmer and Emerson Koenig purchased the assets of the Botkins Hardware Company from their father.

1942
 

Jackson Center Hardware Sold

John Koenig sells his hardware in Jackson Center to Mr. Robert L. Westervelt from Delphos.

1930
 

First Combine Sold in Shelby County

  • Samuel Lotz from near Jackson Center takes delivery from John Koenig of the first "combine" sold in Shelby County, Ohio.
  • It's a McCromick-Deering Harvester Thresher.