How important is a mower belt?
Mower belts are a very important part of your lawn mower. The belt is what transfers the power from the engine to the blades in order for the blades to circulate and cut your grass. Without a mower belt, the blades will not be able to spin and do their job.
How can I tell if my mower belt is worn?
There is no specific time length that mower belts need to be replaced. Some belts may last longer than others due to different operating conditions. One thing is for certain though, the more the mower is used, the sooner you will need to consider replacing the mower belt.
There are a few key items to look over on your mower belt to see if it needs replacement. It is much easier to replace a belt as part of regular maintenance instead of waiting for it to break while you are in the middle of using it.
- Cracked Belt: Mower belts are susceptible to cracking. As they deteriorate over time, you will begin to notice some small cracks appear. Even if the cracks are shallow, it is still a sign that the belt is at risk of breaking and therefore should be replaced.
- Side Wall Damage: All mower belts should have a smooth side wall. If they become damaged with nicks or small tears, it will make it easier for the belt to fully split and break.
- Burned or Glazed Side Wall: As the mower belt continues to get used, the belt will wear down. As a mower belt wears down, the side wall of the belt will begin to look burned or glazed. This is another sign that your belt is worn and needs to be replaced.
How can I replace my mower belt?
If you are interested in replacing the belt on your own, you can purchase all the needed parts online with Koenig MyDealer. These are the steps provided from a John Deere Manual. Your deck might be different; if so, seek professional assistance.
- Remove the belt:
- Remove the mower deck from the machine.
- Rotate the idler arm (A) counterclockwise to release tension off the belt, and then remove the belt from the sheave (B).
- Remove belt from around sheaves under ramps (C) and remaining sheaves, except for idler sheave (B).
- Installing the belt:
- Install belt around sheaves under ramps (C) and all remaining sheaves, except for idler sheave (B).
- Rotate belt around arm (A) counterclockwise, and install belt onto sheave (B) .
Where can I find lawn mower belts & service assistance near me?
Koenig Equipment has locations throughout Ohio and Indiana with all the parts and service assistance you could need with your mower and mower belts. If you are looking to replace the belt yourself, our Parts Team is there to ensure you get the proper belt, and any other parts you might need to get the job done. Purchasing the parts you need online is simple with a free Koenig MyDealer account
If you are needing a little more assistance, our Service Department can gladly help explain the steps to change your mower belt, or you can schedule a time to bring your mower in and have one of our Koenig Equipment Certified Technicians replace the belt for you.
Easily buy the parts you need online with a Koenig MyDealer account!