Tips and Advice for Cleaning Mower Decks
One major area of both walk behind and riding lawn mowers that commonly gets overlooked throughout the season is the underside of the mower deck that houses the mower blades. When the deck gets clogged and caked with cut grass it can be harmful to both your mower and your lawn.
Some may think that keeping the mower deck clean is more for the neatness of your mower, when in fact it has nothing to do with keeping the mower “looking good.” Not only will keeping it clean help with the performance of your mower, it also helps cut down on the spread of lawn diseases. When you cut a blade of grass, you are ultimately opening a wound that leaves the blade of grass susceptible to harmful elements such as fungal disease.
Cleaning the deck should be done at least twice a year or more often if required. Below are some tips for cleaning your mower deck:
1. On walk behind mowers, ALWAYS empty the gas tank and make sure that you disconnect the spark plug before working near the mower deck. On riding mowers, it is not necessary to empty the gas tank, but ALWAYS remove the key prior to removing the mower deck.
2. On a flat surface, tip the mower on it's side with the air filter facing up. This will expose the mower deck.
3. With a long-handled scraper or putty knife remove and properly discard the large chunks of caked on debris. (Use caution when working around the mower blade). With a garden hose and spray nozzle, or a high-pressure washer if available, soak any remaining debris and let set for a while. After the remaining debris has had a chance to soak, use the "jet” setting of the spray nozzle to remove any remaining debris. Any stubborn material can be removed with a stiff scrub brush.
4. Allow deck to air dry before use.
5. TIP - To help prevent future grass and dirt buildup on your mower deck, lightly coat the mower deck with a spray on vegetable oil.
Is your lawn mower in need of service beyond a simple mower deck adjustment? The team at Koenig Equipment has seen it all. Schedule a service appointment with our expert technicians and give your lawn a trim sooner rather than later.